Thursday 18 September 2008

Take five

It's not really time for another frivolous music-related thread, but what the hell... To mark their 50th anniversary Motown are releasing a 50 track album this December, and you can vote for which tracks should be included.
Popbitch* is plumping for: Love Hangover (Diana Ross), I've Never Been To Me (Charlene), As (Stevie Wonder), Dancing On The Ceiling (Lionel Ritchie), Let's Get It On (Marvin Gaye).
I must admit to something of a macabre fascination with the Charlene track and you might even be able to get me to own up to knowing all the words: "I've been undressed by kings, and I've seen some things that a woman ain't 'sposed to see. I've been to paradise but I've never been to me" And the spoken bit... I might come up with a list of songs with spoken bits one day.
Here's my Top Five Motown, although how can you narrow it down to just five? Reach Out I'll Be There (The Four Tops); I Second That Emotion (Smokey Robinson and the Miracles); I Heard It Through The Grapevine (Marvin Gaye); The Happening (Supremes); Bernadette (The Four Tops).
What's the betting Grapevine will top the poll? I went through a long period of preferring other Marvin Gaye tracks because it was just too familiar, but I'm now appreciating it all over again. Sounds fantastic on the iPod.
*Popbitch also has this quote: "What's wrong with a miniskirt? You can cause an accident because some of our people are weak mentally" - Nsaba Buturo, Uganda's Minister for Ethics and Integrity.

No comments: